Visit to Duke Pediatric Cardiology

At Asher's 9-month check up, Dr. Willey heard a heart murmur. She explained that this is fairly common and described in detail how babies hearts can grow and murmurs can come and go. She said we'd just keep an eye on it and check again at his 12-month check up.

I then asked her if she would take a different course of action if she knew that our family had a history of heart conditions. Of course, I couldn't think of any name of anything off the top of my head. But I mentioned the few details I knew about my cousin and my cousin's daughter's (you follow me there?) open-heart surgeries briefly. Dr. willey then said, I really think everything is just fine but let's just send Asher to a cardiologist just so we'll all feel better.

Enter today. We went to the Duke Pediatric Cardiologist, Dr. Milazzo, as recommended by Dr. Willey. We had a great experience. Everyone loved Asher and he gabbed with everyone. He talked to the nurses, the doctor and I was so proud of him for being so darn well-behaved and precious. We had to hang out for a while throughout the appointment and Asher did great!

I came prepared with a scary long list of family heart conditions all typed up. I felt like I was being a little over the top at first, but they were really very appreciative of all the details. I then felt like a great mom, over the top and all!

Dr. Milazzo did hear the murmur and said it was a tad louder than most. That in combination with the long list of family heart conditions I provided sent us to the echo-cardiogram machine. Asher watched Elmo on TV while they did the test. And, they let me lay down on the bed with him which was nice.

And the result: The doctor says all looks well. Everything is normal. He checked for the conditions on the family history I provided, and no evidence of those as well. So, that's great that we can have that peace of mind, as well. I know this is a lot to be thankful for. And thankful we are.

I know from watching the experiences of those that I love that these things can happen surprisingly. That an ordinary check-up can lead to a nightmare. I know to always be thankful for the health of a child. I'm also thankful for the goodness of God and modern medicine for healing my loved ones.

Thank you, God, for watching over our little one. And for watching over all of us.

Asher has a perfect little heart. But, we already knew that, right?

Comments

Popular Posts