That smell. That sound.

Lights out.

Senses are beyond powerful. Their connection to our brain is outside of my comprehension. 

There are songs that, to this very day, I can hear and they will transport me to a place and time from as far as many years back. I can feel how I felt then. It makes me catch my breath. There are places I can visit, drive by or catch a glimpse of, and experience the same race back through time.

Tonight, I decided to use a tad bit of my favorite ever (now discontinued) smell-good body spray. The flood was instant as soon as that smell registered with my senses. My memory. Again, taken back in time. Memories and moments and feelings and feeling as if I was there, back there. It was a shock to my system at first, but welcomed. 

Then, again tonight, a song comes on as I'm winding down for bed. I honestly think most times I hear it start I take this deep breath in, without realizing it. The song itself is a favorite, and I'm not even sure why. But when you add in conversations and talks and times of significance associated, it becomes a soundtrack to part of my life. 

Sometimes these things happen and I feel sad. Happy. Remorseful. Introspective. I may even laugh. Or cry. Or smile to myself. Or dance. Or play the next song that keeps me pushed back into time. Because it's like dreaming, while being fully awake and in charge. Which, for me anyway, is a pretty spectacular superpower. 

In keeping with my current focus on exploring the Kira in me, I allow myself to feel. Remember. Let it burn to the ground if it needs to. Or let it ignite if it needs to. Feeling is overwhelming in a beautiful way.

So, tonight, I sit and listen and breathe in. And remember. And smile. Dig deep. Feel the heavy and the the sparkles of life well lived and loved. And thank the power of my senses. 

"It must be your skin, I'm sinking in
Must be for real 'cause now I can feel
I didn't mind
It's not my kind
It's not my time to wonder why
Everything gone white
Everything's grey
Now you're here, now you're away
I don't want this
Remember that
I'll never forget where you're at"


Comments

Popular Posts