It's Personal: Trans Children Under Attack

Before some of you scoff and roll your eyes, hear me out. I've seen the nationwide attack on the humanity of the trans community. And for me, it's personal. 

Why? Because with my little family of five, I know personally four families loving their trans children for who they are. They are afraid to tell their stories - for good reason. We need to hear their stories. However, it is not safe. 

My words will not be perfect. But I'm going to try my best here. 

For our friends that have trans children, you would never know any different at a birthday party. If you met and spoke to these precious humans, you would adore them just like any other child. 

These friends didn't ask for this. They didn't ask for their child to be "different". I can relate to that. We have the children God created for us and they are ours to love and protect. These families struggled with what to do and how to cope. They spoke to their churches, therapists. They know the staggering statistics that put their children at higher risk for suicide. I've witnessed their pain, struggles, growth and strength. I know the distinct fear of these children and the struggles they face among their peers. They see what society thinks of them as much as their parents try to shield them from the hate. 

My kids have been at school with some of these friends and their siblings. I remember seeing one friend wearing a dress and growing his hair out during my son's second grade year. I was volunteering and noticed the gradual shift. I later asked my son about his friend's longer hair. He simply replied "Yes, he's growing it out and trying wearing dresses like a girl for now. He likes it. That's what he told me because I asked him. So, yeah, that's why he looks different to you." And that was it. Friends, they remained. No big discussions at school or at home. 

That child was accepted as who they are. Included. Supported. Which is exactly what I want for my children, no matter the situation. Kids don't see the issues that adults make out of things. They see love. We should all follow their example. 

I personally believe God created my kids just as they are, with intention and purpose. I believe this for all of us. I believe God when He says to love each other. 

So before we make harsh parenting accusations, scare our children out of being themselves, remove medical care or accuse schools of indoctrination, we must listen to these stories. Even if the story is coming secondhand. 

Because these are people I love and treasure. They are taking it day by day, just like we all do when parenting throws us a curveball. They love the crap out of their kids. Just as they are. 

To know they are contemplating where they could move for safety and healthcare if hate becomes law is horrific. I cannot imagine their fear and concern. But I can try to explain it to others as best I can. They deserve that solidarity. 

I believe in inclusion and equity for all children. I believe in love. And I know my children feel the same way. Not because I preached a single thing to them but because it came naturally to them. 

Think of these small bits of big stories the next time you see legislation and society spewing hate. Ask yourself what you can do to help. 

Comments

Popular Posts