Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Our Birth Plan: The Second Time Around

When thinking through a birth plan when I was pregnant with Asher, it was more of a non-plan birth plan. I wanted Asher here safely and I didn't have much of a preference of how it went down. I was totally open to pain medication and induction was fine by me, too.

Well, after a whirlwind of a birth and a long recovery from a c-section, I put a lot of thought into what we'd like this time around. Keeping in mind what truly matters is a safe, healthy baby and delivery.

First things first, I changed OBGYNs. I wasn't thrilled with 90% of my experience with my first OBGYN practice and swapped over when I found out we were expecting this time. So far, so good.

At my first visit, they began discussing my options and they have continued to discuss them and answer my questions at each visit. Today, at my 32 week appointment, I officially told them my plan is to attempt a VBAC. Sure, the idea of scheduling a c-section at 39 weeks sounds appealing (think: plan in place, date known, no being overdue, etc.).

But, recovering from a c-section again sounds appalling. And, my OB said that after two c-sections they wouldn't encourage a VBAC - so this is my chance to have a vaginal birth, which I really want to experience. And, they also said they wouldn't recommend more than three c-sections (nor would some of them even agree to perform one at that point).

Now, I'm not family planning four children over here (not yet anyway), but I don't like the idea of a c-section being the reason I cannot have more kids, or as many kids as we may decide we'd like to have. I also don't like the idea of each surgery carrying more risk. I have enough to stress about over here.

So, I asked around. Talked things over with Rusty. Did some reading. Weighed the pros and cons. Talked with all of the doctors in my new practice. And, today, they wrote in my chart: VBAC.

I feel good about this. I have a good feeling we'll be successful with a VBAC. (I also have a good feeling I'll be running to them at 39 weeks begging to schedule a c-section to get this baby out of me. But, writing this should help hold me accountable.)

Here's our current plan:

  • Allow my body to go into labor naturally. (Pray my body goes into labor naturally.)
  • Have a home birth. JUST KIDDING. I think the idea of a home birth is beautiful for some, but just not for me. Really, I am open to an epidural and pain control and plan to use as needed.
  • Continue my chiropractic adjustments weekly. My chiropractor has experience with VBAC mommas and has seen correct alignment prove to be helpful with VBAC deliveries. Given the fact that my pubic bone was separating so early and my pelvis was out of line, I'm hoping that having her adjust me will put me in a better place for contractions that are productive this time around.
  • Keep active. Try to prevent the swelling nightmare from the first time around. Walk walk walk, which will help with previous item, too. Well, and chasing Asher and climbing stairs daily will help.
  • Do not schedule a c-section until 41 weeks, and then only if I feel like that's the appropriate route. My OBGYN will not induce me since I had a c-section with Asher. So, I'm not interested in being forever overdue, miserable and end up in an emergency c-section situation.
  • Research doula support as a supplement to our labor experience. I actually began this process officially today and realized that I'm very late to the ballgame. I don't think I'll be able to find a qualified, experienced doula at such late notice. In the cost department, Rusty was not so thrilled, but I've had several friends mention the positive experience that the doula was able to provide them during their labor and deliveries. It'd be great to maybe even find a new doula in the area that's looking for clients or visibility and work out a blog/doula swap off. Either way, though, I may have missed the boat on this one. 
  • Have a plan in place for Asher and Rusty. Come to peace with the fact that if there is some crazy flu outbreak at the time of delivery, I may not be able to see Asher while at the birth center. Use this as fuel for my VBAC fire (less time at hospital).
  • Remind myself to take my Zoloft to delivery and pop that pill ASAP following birth. Also, remind myself that my body may have a much better time recovering and dealing with delivery and postpartum hormones if I can manage a VBAC. We've even talked about placenta encapsulation over here as a means to help me in my postpartum recovery. The idea kind of makes me gag to myself, but in reading about the benefits and the research behind it all, there does seem to be something to it. I don't think Rusty will ever officially agree to it, but it is something we are researching. 
  • Realize that this is not all in my control. I can pray about it. I can prepare for whatever may happen. And I can be proud of growing this baby thus far and even more proud when I see his sweet face for the first time - no matter how we get to that meeting. 
So that, my friends, is our plan this time around. Please pray for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. And pray that God's will be done along the way. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should contact Ashley. She is a local mom who recently became certified as a Doula. I am not sure if she's doing any sort of deals because she is new, but worth checking out...

http://www.birthrightdoulanc.com/

She also has a blog about her family http://www.lifewithbusybea.com/

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. We heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...